1. The Kitchen is one of the most important rooms in the house.
Because we nourish people in this room it needs order. We nourish through food as well as words. I know in our home, the kitchen is the most utilized room in the house. I often say, " if our tables could talk what would they say?" Much fun has been had in our kitchen, it's always brimming with lots of talk and everyone trying to speak over everyone!
In order to feed a lot of people I have to have a system in my kitchen which starts with a plan. In that plan I look at the layout of my kitchen and where I will be preparing most of my meals.
2. Having a Place to Start
Start with the layout of your kitchen.
- Where is the sink in location to the stove or refrigerator?
- Look at the counter space between or near the stove and refrigerator.
- Assess your cabinet space.
- Do you have a pantry? If there is no pantry space in your kitchen, don't worry, there are a lot of alternatives.
- Placing the trash can. I know it seems silly but this actually will save you time in cooking and cleaning.
3. Getting Set Up
- Organize a cabinet for baking.
- Place all your sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, measuring cups, cocoa, etc. in the cabinet.
- Next, make sure there is access to a mixer.
- Lastly, place all tablespoons and teaspoons in a drawer near the cabinet. If there is no drawer get a container to put theses items in and place in cabinet.
Food Preparation Space
- Organize spices close by the stove or where you prepare meals.
- Put a container by the stove to hold most utensils used while cooking.
- Make sure a trash can is near. If you have 1 large trash can, I suggest getting a medium trash can that is movable. It will save you so so many steps which saves time in the kitchen.
- Apron, I wear an apron when I am preparing food or baking because I am wiping my hands often. Wearing an apron will save your clothes.
- Make sure all your cooking and mixing bowls are together in one place. This makes it easy for when your children are unloading the dishwasher or washing and putting away dishes also.
- Lastly, put dish towels in a cute basket or a drawer that is near the oven or stove. I keep several hanging on my oven door:)